An Assessment & A Follow Up E-Mail Like This Will Prevent Your Next Hiring Disaster
June 28, 2012 by Simon
I am NOT recommending that you hire the candidate who recently completed an assessment.
While their behaviors are excellent for the position, this means they can cross the t’s and dot the i’s, follow routine and be a good people-person, at the same time, I don’t believe they have the values for the position.
The candidate is leading with a high social value at #1 and a high aesthetic value at #3 which are both too high for the position. These values are demonstrated on page 44 of the assessment. You will also note that their utilitarian value is the lowest ranking #6. It is my experience that anyone that is committed long term to financial services needs to have a high utilitarian value because after all it is all about growing peoples’ assets. There’s the key… growing peoples’ assets. It’s about the clients that the company serves to grow THEIR assets. The challenges are as follows when a person has a higher social and aesthetic value:
Socials with too high of a Social value tend to:
- Focus on team members and can be injurious to self.
- Be overzealous for a cause, which may lead to harmful behavior to self or team.
- Prone to lose/win relationships, focusing only on the benefit to others.
- Be generous of team resources with no expectation of return.
- Place the benefit to the cause over the benefit of the team or self.
Aesthetics with too high of an Aesthetic value tend to:
- Let subjective feelings conflict with everyday reality.
- Let pain and obstacles in life affect their ability to work on a team.
- Be ineffective in a chaotic environment.
- Become frustrated if team environment doesn’t allow for personal growth.
- Be dissatisfied with the importance placed on objective truth over subjective experiences within the team.
Look at the above hindering factors for both the higher aesthetic and higher social values.
To me this means that a person with this combination would put their cause first and not your business and the assets of your clients.