A job description sets out the purpose of a job, where the job fits into the organization structure, the main accountabilities and responsibilities of the job, and the key tasks to be performed. The Job Description is the document to have in place for the person when they are hired – so they know exactly what the duties of the position are.
The Ad describes the person that you want rather than leading with the Job Description.
If the Ad leads with the Job Description then anyone can say “I can do that.”
If the Ad leads with the Characteristics of the person that you want then the people who don’t have those characteristics will not apply.
This culture of distraction is the subject of the best-selling book The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains, by Nicholas Barr. It warns that our psyches are being structurally changed by the instantaneous World Wide Web.
The Internet is constructing an artificial existence in which “we are becoming ever more adept at scanning and skimming,” Barr writes, “but what we are losing is our capacity for concentration, contemplation and reflection.”
This blog is a cut and paste from an April 16th article from The Vancouver Sun by Douglas Todd entitled; Life, and death, in 140 characters?
Free One Page Business Plan Webinars May 11th & 25th – Register Now!
Who should attend?
- Do you have too many scattered ideas?
- Do you need to focus on a few?
- Do you need to jumpstart your business right now?
- Do you have no time or interest in writing a 50 page business plan?
- Do you need to determine if you’re focusing on the right things?
- Do you need an effective blueprint to keep yourself and team focused?
Then consider a fresh, simple approach to business planning that will enable you to focus on what is important…the One Page Business Plan(TM) – a powerful tool for building and managing a business. It’s short, it’s concise, and it delivers results quickly and effectively. There can be no question as to where your business is headed when it is in writing, especially when you have the key essentials about growing your business clearly specified on a single page.
Is this another ho-hum course on business planning like the ten others you have attended – no way! I know how to capture the essence of any business in just a few minutes using the innovative key word and short phrase techniques using the One Page Business Plan(TM).
To Register for the One Page Business Plan(TM) Free Webinar:
Call Laura at 250 248-6012 / 1 877 248-6012 or e-mail Laura at moc.r1422303857osivd1422303857agnid1422303857ael@y1422303857llier1422303857l1422303857 and you will receive your GoTo Meeting Webinar Link, Phone Number and Access Code.
- Wednesday, May 11that 11:15am EDT
- Wednesday, May 25th at 12:30pm EDT
Feeling honored to have been asked by Bart Wisniowski and Loic Jeanjean of AdvisorWebsites to write the Preface for their new book; Webvisor, the financial advisors’ guide to the Internet
Webvisor – The Financial Advisors’ Guide To The Internet
When there is no understanding, there is judgment. When there is judgment, there can be no understanding.
Like the Chinese Proverb that states, “I hear and I forget; I see and I remember; I do and I understand” … Webvisor – The Financial Advisor’s Guide To The Internet, will cause financial advisors to understand and capitalize on the internet & social media through reading the thought leading information, and through the completion of the exercises that are at the end of each chapter.
There are some financial advisors that scoff and ridicule the benefits of the internet & social media and this is because they don’t understand.
An absence of understanding the internet & social media is like accompanying your best high net worth client to an awards dinner where they are the guest of honour…. and you forget to bring your business cards.
The internet & social media are just like an event. You don’t go around flogging your business cards, but just like being visible on the internet & social media, you present your business card to those that visit you for one.
Understanding the internet & social media is about understanding that it isn’t about what you are going to get from the internet & social media, it is about understanding that with all relationships, it is about the value that you bring to the relationships that you serve.
Financial advisors will be better positioned to meet and exceed their sales goals with the support of the internet & social media through their actions that will be inspired by the value added new thought leading understanding from Webvisor – The Financial Advisor’s Guide To The Internet.
Here is a portion of an e-mail that I sent to one of my financial advisor coaching clients / investment advisor coaching clients after a coaching call.
You have everything that you need.
To think with the ego is to think like a victim with thoughts like; I am too busy or I have too much to do or I’ll never it all done.
Get that the ego;
- Has only one focus and that is surviving the present moment
- Tricks you into thinking that everything is urgent and has to be done right now and that everything is an A priority
- Has no concept of time because all it can think of surviving the present moment
- Has no scope of the infinite power of time
- Runs you with busy thoughts and busy work versus you running your company, life and time
- Keeps you busy to avoid the emotions that are tied to the unmet needs of approval, control, recognition, safety and worthiness … what would happen if you stopped to manage your life, your business and your time … what would that feel like … better get busy, no time to do that … I have to keep on surviving, chasing approval and recognition taking too much time to over control everything to prove that I am worthy!
- Wants to keep com- “pounding” you with fear and limiting beliefs all fueled by unmet needs.
You get the infinite power of time when you identify all of your projects, prioritize them, estimate the time required, delegate what can be delegated, block out / schedule the time and act … the infinite power of time is getting that things take less time than the ego thought 90% of the time. With this realization your can celebrate what you accomplish versus I am too busy or I have too much to do or I’ll never it all done.
To avoid urgent client requests;
- e-mail your group insurance clients requesting 72 hours notice to process their information requests in preparation for union meetings
- call your group insurance clients every two weeks and ask them if they are going to require anything in the next two weeks
- stop answering the phone, reply to your clients by e-mail asking them what they need and they will get the best way to contact you is via e-mail which will allow you to be in charge of your time … not more time wasted on hold or with telephone tag.